Alcohol Authorization


Alcohol Authorization



What are the steps for approval of alcohol use for an event?

  1. Determine purpose, location, and funding of event.
  2. Identify an Event Coordinator for the event.
  3. Complete an official function form and an alcohol authorization form. *Note*: If the purpose of the event is fundraising, a fundraising authorization form must be completed as well.
  4. Submit the necessary authorization forms for approval.  

Where can I find the Alcohol Authorization form? In order to request authorization for use of alcohol, please submit an alcohol authorization form to The form can be submitted electronically. If you are having issues viewing and/or submitting the form, verify that you are using the most current version of Adobe Reader.

What is the UCCS policy for use of alcohol? The use of alcohol is defined in policy 100-003 as approved by the Chancellor. The policy can be found on the VCAF website.

What premises are licensed for service of alcohol at UCCS? As defined in UCCS Policy 100-003, a Licensed Premise:  Means a specific location where the sale and service of alcohol for consumption on the location has been authorized under Colorado law. 

UCCS Licensed Premises
Ø  University Center (All Floors) Ø  Dwire Hall 1st-Floor
Ø  University Center (Upper Plaza) Ø  Dwire Hall 2nd-Floor
Ø  Ent Center Ø  Berger Hall


How do I know whether an event requires an Alcohol Authorization form? Utilize the flowchart below to determine whether or not an Alcohol Authorization form is needed. If you have any questions, please let email us at

Alcohol Authorization Flow Chart


Who can serve alcohol? Servers (or bartenders) of alcohol must be TIPS certified unless the event is being held in a private residence and has less than 10 attendees.  

What is TIPS? Training for Intervention Procedures (TIPS) is a type of certification designed specifically for the education and training of individuals for the service and sale of alcohol.  

What are acceptable forms of ID? Valid driver's license, state issued identification ID, military ID, or passport.  

What is a Special Event Permit (SEP)? A Special Event Permit is a temporary permit to sell alcoholic beverages in an unlicensed space. A SEP is only needed if UCCS is selling alcohol.  This permit is issued by the State Liquor Enforcement Division and is provided for a specific event, time, and location. It is recommended that a request be submitted, to the State Liquor Enforcement Division, at least 6 months prior to the event.   The permit holder/applicant is the University of Colorado Colorado Springs and approval must be granted through the Office of University Counsel. It is highly encouraged to utilize the licensed premises of UCCS. An alcohol authorization for this type of event must be initiated at least 120 days prior to the event.

What funding sources can be used? 

Funding Source Requirements
Gift Funds
(Fund 34)
Ø  May only be used if the funding speedtype has a "Y" attribute.
Auxiliary Funds
(Fund 20, 26, 28, 29)

Ø  May be approved if submitted in conjunction with a conference.

Ø  Conference brochure must include a notice to registrants that a portion of the registration fee will be used to pay for alcohol

Grant Funds
(Fund 30)

Ø  Purchase of alcohol must be approved under the grant.

Ø  Written permission from the Sponsored Programs Accounting office must be included with Alcohol Authorization Request Form.

Personal Funds

Ø  Personal funds may be used to procure alcohol, but approval is still needed for the event and use of alcohol at the event.

Donated Alcohol

Ø  Licensed Premise: Alcohol must be procured through license holder. Can only accept donated alcohol from select distributors, breweries, and wineries.

Ø  Unlicensed Premise: Alcohol may be donated from any appropriately licensed source.


Note: The above requirements are applicable to University Events. The above is not applicable if an event is an Individual Private Event. An Individual Private Event is an event where alcohol is not sold, university funds were not used to procure the alcohol, and it is not located or held in a licensed location.




Alcohol:  Any Alcoholic beverage, including, but not limited to, beer, wine, liquor, and hard cider.

Bartender: Individual dedicated to the distribution of the alcoholic beverages.  The bartender may have no other assigned duties for the event.  Depending on the number of participants, more than one bartender may be required.  TIPS or equivalent training is required.

Event: Means a conference, fundraising event, meal,  meeting or any other gathering (formal or informal) on property owned or operated by UCCS or where UCCS funds are used to procure food, beverages, alcoholic beverages, and/or services, regardless of whether or not the space is licensed or not for alcoholic beverage sales.

Event Coordinator: The authorized UCCS employee who schedules the event and ensures compliance with all campus policies regarding alcohol and the State liquor code, applicable municipal code, and University policies for Private Events in public facilities where alcohol is present.

Fundraising: The act or activity of soliciting and collecting gift revenue benefiting the University. Examples of fundraising activities include the collection of gifts or money through: contributions or donations, sale or auction of merchandise or services, collection of registration or sponsorship fees, imposition of admission charges or registration fees, and/or membership fees.

License Holder: Responsible party who applies for and is granted a license or permit to sell alcoholic beverages.  The UCCS food service provider is UCCS Dining & Food Services for specific space detailed in Licensed Premise definition, or an individual department applying for and granted a special permit license (see definition below).

Licensed Premise: A specific location where the sale and service of alcohol for consumption on the location has been authorized under Colorado law.   

Private Event: An Event where Alcohol is served that is not open to the general public. In order to be a Private Event, the Event must satisfy all of the following:

1. It must be by invitation only. Invitations to the Event must have been sent to specific individuals. This does not include an Event where attendees register in response to an announcement of the Event. 

2. A previously printed list of invited guests must be used to identify attendees at the entrance to assure that only invited participants enter.

3. The Event cannot have been advertised as being open to the public.

4. The Alcohol is free or the Event is a University sponsored Event and the admission charge or other charge for participation is the same regardless of whether the person attending consumes Alcohol or not.

University Sponsored Event:  Alcohol is not sold nor is there an admission charge to enter the event.  The event may or may not be invitation only.  Alcohol is free but is served by an individual with TIPS or equivalent training (i.e. annual holiday party).


Alcohol Authorization Form

Completed forms should be submitted via email to

Note: Forms will automatically download to your computer when the link is clicked.  For best results with fillable PDF forms, please ensure you are first saving the file then opening the file using an Adobe Reader.  Please do NOT fill out the form in your web browser (i.e. Microsoft Edge) as it will not save what you enter into the fields when you go to download the document.  In addition, it will not let you use Adobe Sign.

Additional Resources

UCCS Policies: //

PSC Procedural Statement-Alcoholic Beverage:

PSC Official Function:

PSC Fundraising Authorization:

Special Event Permit:   



Campus Alcohol Authorization



Last Reviewed on 03/29/2022