Procurement Cards (P-Cards)


Procurement Cards (P-Cards)

What is the difference between an A-Card and a P-Card? Absolutely nothing! A-Card is the former name of P-Card. It was renamed to Procurement Card (P-Card).  

What types of Procurement Cards (P-Cards) are available? The University of Colorado offers two types of P-Cards. The most commonly used type is the UCCS Procurement card which is a revolving card with a cycle spending limit. The card spending limit refreshes on the 25th of each month. The second type of P-Card is a Managed Spend Card. This is a card with a set limit and defined end date. This type of card is better used for contractors and projects that require a set spending limit and time frame to use a P-Card.  

How do I acquire a P-Card? In order to obtain a P-Card, you must complete both an application as well as online training through SkillSoft. The Cardholder Application can be found on PSC's website here. Additionally three training courses need to be completed through SkillSoft. Once you have submitted the CardHolder Application to the PSC (via fax) and completed the three required training courses, the P-Card will be sent within 10 business days, contingent upon approval.  

What classes should I take? The required courses are as follows: Fiscal Code of Ethics (SkillSoft- Finance Folder), Procurement - Purchasing and Contract Management (SkillSoft- Procurement Folder), and Procurement Card Cardholder Training (SkillSoft-Procurement Folder).  SkillSoft Training can be accessed through your employee portal.  

What is the spending limit of a P-Card? Spending limits may vary by Cardholder as departments may determine the spending limits on an individual basis. All P-Cards, issued by the University of Colorado, have a maximum spending limit of $5,000 per month. Limits for standard P-Cards are reset at the start of the cycle of each monthly cycle on the 25th.  

What is the difference between a P-Card and a Travel Card? Travel cards should be used for travel-related expenses for both non-employees and employees. Allowable expenses on a travel card include airfare, meals while in travel status, car rental, and lodging. Procurement Cards (P-Cards) can be used for small-dollar purchases that are deemed appropriate expenses.  For a detailed list on prohibited transactions, please review PSC Procedures here.


Three Questions to Consider Before Making a Purchase with a P-Card:
  • Is the purchase appropriate for the University and does it have a valid business purpose?
  • Is the purchase allowable on the Procurement Card?
  • Does the purchase follow sponsored project guidelines (if applicable)?  


What is an AO? AO stands for an approving official.  

What happens if I or a member of my departments has their P-Card stolen? Departments are liable for all transactions made to a lost or stolen card until it is reported to the issuing bank. It is the responsibility of the department and/or individual to notify the bank that the card has been lost or stolen. Fraudulent charges should be disputed with the bank directly, in most cases the bank will make an effort to recoup the charges and credit the expense back to the cardholder.  

What if I accidentally use my P-Card for a personal purchase? Report the purchase to your AO immediately and reimburse the University. The reimbursement can be made at the Bursar’s Office with a Cash Receipt Form. Procurement card personal charges are reimbursed to account 013109. The Cash Receipt Form should be attached to the expense report that includes the personal charge prior to submitting for approval.  

How do I dispute a charge? Fraudulent charges should be disputed with the bank directly. In most cases the bank will make an effort to recoup the charges and credit the expense back to the cardholder.  

When should I submit documentation? All transactions made to a P-Card must be assigned to a report and submitted to an Approving Official within 30 days of the transaction date. Please ensure that you have validation documentation for all transactions totaling $25 or more OR official function meals (regardless of dollar amount).

  • Valid documentation for a transaction should include:
  • Vendor Identification (Merchant Name)
  • Date of Transaction
  • Description and Quantity of Each Item Purchased
  • Cost per Item (if available)
  • Total Cost of Transaction/Order
  • Cardholder Name and/or Card Number
  • Explanation of Purchase (if this is an unusual purchase for the department)

What are violation points? The PSC and Approving Official review transaction documentation to identify possible violations in P-Card use. Prior to being issued a P-Card, cardholders must undertake online training through SkillSoft to demonstrate an understanding for the rules and procedures for P-Cards.

The PSC Card Administration will use their own discretion to determine if a chronic abuse of a P-Card exists and how many violations points will be issued. Generally, for the below list of violations, 50 points is issued per incidence and if 150 or more points are accumulated in a period of 6 months, the card will be suspended until the cardholder has retaken and successfully completed the Procurement Card Cardholder training.

Points will be eliminated after two years. Note: If an employee changes departments within the university, the violation points they have accumulated will remain in effect for that individual.  

What is the billing cycle for a P-Card? The cycle begins on the 25th of each calendar month and ends on the 24th of the following month.  

Where can I find the Tax Exempt information? Tax Exemption information can be found here



Additional Resources:

UCCS Tax Exemption:

PSC P-Card Overview:

PSC P-Card Roles & Responsibilities:

PSC P-Card Violations and Prohibited Transactions:




Last reviewed 01/25/22